Each student enrolling in MSE 2212 will be required to complete the activities listed below.
This is not an exhaustive list of course components; the items listed here are the ones that are most important for students to understand and agree to beforehand.
DNA testing with commercial company, a process including …
- Providing a personal sample (cheek swab) that we will send to the company for analysis at the beginning of the semester
- Receiving DNA results
- Analyzing student’s own DNA results with regard to family history and origins, and living DNA relatives
- Note: students who happen to have previously completed a DNA test with any of the major providers (such as FamilyTreeDNA, Ancestry, MyHeritage, or 23-and-me) may use those results or the they can complete a new test
DNA testing “in house”: bitterness lab, involving …
- Providing a personal sample (cheek swab) from which students will extract their DNA
- Amplifying their DNA for genotype analysis
Pedigree construction: traditional genealogy research, involving …
- Researching vital records (birth, marriage, death) for immediate family (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents…)
- Constructing a family tree using this information
- Adding additional ancestors based on further research … as far back as possible
Page last updated: 27 Sep 2019